Wednesday 8 June 2016

The 15 day trip to Vietnam - The Mandarin Route - Day 3 (late morning) - Boat ride to My Tho island along the Mekong Delta - The 20th of May 2016


(...)

We then got onto a boat ride along the Mekong Delta heading towards the My Tho island. Some of the islands we were told have barely changed over the years so the moment we set foot on the boat we didn't know what to expect.


I believed I'd be coming across floating houses similar to the ones I had seen in Myanmar and even some remote areas in Southern American countries but the truth is the ones I sighted looked rather different. They seemed to be drifting on pontoons  or empty drums. Once they can be anchored up or downstream  depending on the best possible opportunities along the delta life has unexpectedly been made easier for those who inhabit them rather than stilt houses.


Stilt houses which used to be traditionally made of wood are now increasingly being built of corrugated iron, as they are said to last longer than the thatched ones. I still look at their banboo stilts with  awe, particularly since I have read they are remarkably sturdy and flexible thus being able to withstand the swiftest currents.




































The ride was quite a relaxing and interesting one. The moment we set foot on firm land I realised we were leaving the pale brownish like colour of the water for the luxurious green of the forest-like vegetation.    











(To be continued)






No comments:

Post a Comment