Thursday 22 November 2018

My birthday in Isfahan, Iran - Zoorkhaneh, learning modesty and carpet making - The 23rd of August 2018

 
Part of the evening was spent at a zoorkhaneh traning session somewhere in the city. Despite having read about it I don't think I was expecting what I actually witnessed.  The whole atmosphere was undescribable as the practitioners moved in unison to the live drum beats and the recited and sung verses. A combined Martial Art  and strength training the sequence of gymnastic-like movements with wooden clubs did impress me, as did the Sufi whirlink -like exercises. 
 
 
Though I coudn't understand the sequencing interspersed by metal shield exercises and a few dialogue-type of interventions I managed to somehow grasp the ancient Zoroastrian beliefs in regards to the development of physical and mental strength leading to the enhancing of spirituality and inherent principles of unpretentiousness.
 
 
























 
 
 
 
I believe my birthday celebration ended with a rather special traditional note to ponder  "Learn modesty, if you desire knowledge. A highland would never be irrigated by a river."
 
 
 
 
Saba, Azam and I had an enormous difficulty finding a place to eat something at, not that there weren't a lot of places open. We finally decided for a rich soup on the way to Azam's where we met her sisters and mother.
 
 
 





The last image I went to bed with was the beauty of the carpet her mother is making ...


















 

No comments:

Post a Comment