Wednesday, 9 September 2015

My 4 day Helsinki trip in 2009 - The Seurasaari island - The 1st of November 2009


We left the hotel very early in the morning with the intention of going to the Seurasaari island in search of a quiet nature surrounded type of atmosphere. The day looked rather grey and once more very few people could be seen out in the streets at that time of the day.
We passed by a statue that inevitably caught my attention not because it depicted three smiths hammering on an anvil, beut because they were naked, giving them a sort of God-like image. 


We continued walking towards the Eplanadi park where we came across the Svenska Teatern, said to have been a Swedish speaking theatre opened in 1827. Its circular-shaped architectural feature highlighted the building because of it being entirely different from the surrounding ones.

Having taken a bus which dropped us by a wooden bridge providing the access to Seurasaari we finally ventured into the calm island known as a perfect Open Air Museum, due to its huge forested area with well maintained walking paths and numerous old 17th and 18th century houses, barns and even granaries  brought in from all over Finland.

We could breath in the cold air as we strolled around the island, whose landscape was paradise-like, if any comparison could be made, at least that's what I felt paradise could be like then. We stopped at several places just to admire the shadows in the water and the blended golden green and yellow brown specks of colour.

We came across several farmsteads, wooden bird nesthouses, a church and even a radiant looking windmill that filled my eyes. Red squirrels jumped about as happilly contempted as we were as we proceeded in our adventurous walk into the ever denser forested area.


A green phone-box came out of nowhere and fairly close to it  an 18th century Manor's empire-style Summer house that looked more like a doll's house.

We unexpectedly came to a non-forested area which we soon identified as the one having been photographed by Faye on her last trip. It was undescribably beautiful with its hues of blue and light purple. I remember we cried out silently as if we had suddenly found the holy graal that would sooth our pain, the paim of having lost a precious person forever and having regained access to her even for just a few fleeting moments.

We sat there for a while, not so much in a mourning state but a rather celebratory one. I don't quite recall how long we did sit there for but I clearly remember it seemed like endless hours ...

By the time we got back onto the forested paths and the old houses before crossing over the bridge the weather seemed to be clearing and we were feeling a lot "lighter"  ... as we made our way into the city once more.

(To be continued)


No comments:

Post a Comment