Wednesday 8 July 2015

The five day trip to Warsaw (Day 4 afternoon still) - The Barbican, the church of the Holy Spirit, St. Francis Seraph Church and St. Casimir's Church - The 27th of June 2015


(...)

Upon reaching the Barbican I noticed there was a black and white photo exhibition on its inner walls, which I just saw from a distance. Now used as a bridge connecting the old and the new town the rotund structure, which pertains to the set of defensive walls that once protected the city dates back to 1548.
























A few metres away I came across the Church of the Holy Spirit with the statue of the Virgin Mary, said to have been placed at its entrance after the January Uprising in 1863. In 1944 the church is said to have been practically destroyed, the altar having been the only surviving piece.





















Across the street some images designed on a buliding did catch my attention, though I never found out what they were actually or were meant to represent. Fairly close to it the small Museum dedicated to Maria Sklodowska, better known as Marie Curie, which is siad to house a few interesting artefacts pertaining to the Nobel Prize winning physicist.























On the right side one couldn't help noticing the outstanding St. Kasimir's Church, whose interior I just happened to get a glimpse of through a glass window. It is said to have been founded by the wife of King JanIII Sobieski to commemorate her husband's victory over the Turkish Army at the gates of Vienna.
 



 
 
 
A few interesting houses aligned on the church yard and alley leading to its entrance did catch my attention but so did a bright yellow city tour double deck cart pulled by horses and an inquisitive looking bear made of stone. 
 
 





















The interesting thing about strolling around Warsaw was the fact that you'd almost inevitably come across either a church or something worth looking at. I don't think I have ever visited a city with so many churches per square metre and I didn't dislike it because churches do allow me moments of reflexion.

The 1733 Baroque St. Francis Seraph Church was the next one I walked into and I'd lie if I said I wasn't impressed by the overall sense of "purity" conveyed and the beautiful religious images, amongst which I'd refer the image of the Virgin Mary holding the child.



























Looking down Mostowa street a coule of newly weds caught my attention, as the photographer tried hard ot have them do some "crazy-like" moves, which they didn't seem to adhere to. 












 

No comments:

Post a Comment