Wednesday 15 July 2015

An afternoon visit to Tomar - The Convent of Christ (cont.) - The Round Church (Charola) - The 12th of July 2015


(...)

I finally had access to the Romanesque Charola, which I had never fully seen but which I justifiably fell in love with almost immediately. Dating back to the XIIth century its construction is said to have been inspired by the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem. It has an octogonal structure connected by arches. The capitals of the columns are Romanesque as well and depict vegetal and animal motifs. The pillars of the central octagon and the walls of the ambulatory have polychrome statues of saints and angels, whilst the walls and ceilings have been painted with Gothic patterns and panels depicting the life of Christ.

It couldn't help looking at it and admiring the outstanding work involved in it. I don't know I long I stood there but what I know is that by the time I left I had a strong pain in my neck from having looked up for certainly what must have been quite a long time.
 




























































(To be continued)









 

No comments:

Post a Comment