Having walked by the Duomo once more and realised that the queue to access to its interior was even longer than the one in the morning we decided to move away from the city centre and go on a three hour walking adventure to San Miniato al Monte.
We started off on one of the Arno river banks which we reached by going across across the Vecchio bridge and then a steep road up towards the Costa di San Giorgio, where we stopped at nº 19, which once was the home of Galileo.
We then continued up till we sighted the Porta San Giorgio (1260), the oldest city gate to survive in Florence. The weathered fresco within one of its sides is the Virgin with Saint George and Saint Leonard by Bicci di Lorenzo (1460), whilst on its outer face there is a carving of St. George fighting the dragon, a copy of the preserved 1284 original work which has been removed to Palazzo Vecchio.
(To be continued)