Friday 6 September 2019

Isfahan, Iran - Day 7 (evening) - The guided tour of the cemeteries - The 22nd of August 2019


(...)

We initiated our visit to the cemeteries in Isfahan in the early evening. The first caught my attention because many of the tombs could actually be seen amidst the new buildings erected in the area and not just withing the site. I was once told that the best way to value life is to "cohabit" with the ones who are no longer among us and in fact that may not be so far from the truth. I could feel the presence of the deceased at every step we took.
 
 
Once we walked along some of the secluded areas containing several of the decorated tomb stones, I couldn't help but being drawn to the artistry displayed in the marble carvings of some of them - especially the Samsam o Saltaneh and the Sardar Assad ones, to name just a few.
 
 
 


































































The second one drew my attention mostly because of the "stuffed" atmosphere I immersed myself in whilst visiting a rather unique mausoleum, where walking was difficult due to the number of objects filling the space and the eyes of those praying and looking after it. I was exceptionally allowed to take a photograph, though it conveys in no way what I felt then.









































































(To be continued)
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment