Tuesday 2 June 2020

The 16 Day circuit around South Africa - Day 15 - Cape Town - The Hout Bay; Duiker island; Cape of Good Hope; lunch at Black Marlin in Simon's Town - The 10th of February 2020

 
Before going on a boat trip to see the Cape fur seal colony on Duiker island we stopped briefly at a belvedere so as to have a panoramic view over this side of the Atlantic Ocean. The hues of blue from both the sea and the sky inevitably drew my attention. It was beautiful to look at.




















By the time we left the Hout Bay it was cold and windy and I found myself shivering as I tried to concentrate on the numerous seals frolicking around or just lying on the rocks.
























 
 
 
As we took to the road that would lead us to the Cape of Good Hope we once more stopped briefly at some view points. On one of them I came across an artist who did scrap assembled artistic works that conveyed  a three dimensional type of painting and had we had more time I might have bought one of his canvases.
 







 
 



 
 
 
 
We then reached the most Southwesterly point of the Cape Peninsula originally named Cape of Storms discovered by the Portuguese explorer Bartolomeu Dias in 1488. I somehow felt a sense of pride at my ancestors' achievements, I must say. I just strolled around trying to remember the first time I had come across some of these historic events as a child.
 


















 
 
 
I made it half way up to the Rocky Cape Point considered one of the most scenic spots in the area because all of a sudden the sun was out and I didn't feel I was prepared to face the heat for a long period of time.
 
 
 





 
 
 
 
 
We finally had lunch at the Black Marlin restaurant in the Simon's town. After so many days of having eaten meat I was able to have a main fish course, which though distinctly cooked in a different way from Portuguese cuisine was nevertheless quite good. 
 
 










(To be continued)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment