Wednesday 9 May 2018

My 7 day circuit in Panama - Day 2 (morning cont.) - In the Embera Quera Community - The 23rd of April 2018


(...)


We were welcomed by the indigenous Embera Quera community with drums, hand-clapping and smiles. As we headed towards the hut we would later have lunch at we came across several indigenous women weaving baskets and making colourful handicraft.
 
 
Getting to know how the community lives was an important part of our visit and the more we strolled around under the guidance of the local "doctor" the more I pondered on life's happiness. I was impressed by their way of living, as well as the fine handicraft they produce, all of which is nature influenced. 
 
 



































The community doctor showed us the "repenting" wooden bar used as a means to have the offender ponder on his offense whilst calming down and for all it initially looked like a rather aggressive means of punishing those who had misbehaved in some form the more I thought about it the more I felt it was adequate for such a community where prisons do not exist and punishing is having the person in question acknowledge what he has done. 





















We came across a toilet a little farther, which in a way seemed to disturb the balance of the surrounding atmosphere, but I was told it was just a facility the community was trying to get done for the incoming number of tourists.























I befriended some children, who followed me almost everywhere I went, particularly Carolina whom I absolutely fell for because of her gracious smile and tenderness.
 
 
A quick visit to the school-like hut that acommodates 17 children at one time and has a teacher who sails in and out everyday from the mainland, provided us with some information regarding the actual importance Emberas attribute to learning skills and education in general. 
 
 
Children's games and simple pleasures weren't too dissimilar from my own childhood's.









































After lunch, which was particularly tasty, we were given some time to admire the beautiful handicrafted pieces of Art they produce before having been taken to the Communal hut to listen to some of their songs and participate in some of their typical dances.



























































When we reached the embarcadero on the Panama city area that's when I realised I had had a rather magical day.















 

No comments:

Post a Comment