Wednesday 25 January 2017

My weekend adventure at Aix-en-Provence, France (day 1 afternoon) - The Museum Granet - The 20th of January 2017



As I moved along Rue d'Italie there were certain sights that reminded me of Toulouse inspite of the ovious differences.







Before visiting the permanent Art collection I walked into a temporary exhibition by Olivier Bernex,  which under normal circumstances I wouldn't have gone to because of the modernity of the artistic approach though I must recognise that I ended up liking it, namely due to the profusion of colours and the Henri Rousseau references therewith associated. 





La Révolution du Printemps - 2012-2014 - acrilic on canvas







Seconde promenade - Chutes de pierres enneigées - 2010 - acrilic on canvas

"... J'ai appris ainsi par ma propre expérience que la source du vrai bonheur est en nous ..." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau, 1777







Sixième Promenade - Monde hostile - 2011 - Acrilic on canvas

"Il est des sortes d'aversités qui élèvent et renforcent l'âme, mais il en est qui l'abattent et la tuent ... Le séctacle de l'injustice et la méchanté me fait bouillir le sanf de colère." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau - 1777




















Dixième Promenade - Éveils préromantiques - August 2011 - acrilic on canvas

"J'ai passé soixante et dix ans sur terre et j'ai vécu sept." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau, inachevée, 1778






















Ma treizième rêverie - Cosmogenie - 2013 - Acrilic on canvas


















From that exhibit room I walked up onto the first floor having come across another fairly interesting temporary exhibit by Henri Cueco, whose artisitc apporaches were after several other famous painters' compositions.















L' énlèvement des Sabines - crayon and acrilic on canvas after Nicolas Poussin's.




Bethsabée au bain after Rembrandt and Paul Cézanne's






Baigneuses d'après Cézanne's















I finally made it to the Francois-Marius Granet's room in which several paintings caught my attention.





Intérieur d'un salle d'asile - 1844 oil on canvas






Le Cloître de Sainte-Marie-des-Anges - 1849 oil on canvas.





L'école des soeurs - oil on canvas - acquired by the city of Aix in 1988





Jean-August-Dominique Ingres - 1807 oil on canvas





Rome - Vue du couvent Saint-Bonaventure à travers une arcade du Colisée - 1849 oil on canvas






Le sommeil - 1849 oil on canvas







Jean-Auguste Dominique ingres - Étude d'homme assis de profil - oil on canvas




















Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres - Jupiter et Thétis





Moissons à Chambaudoin by Pierre-Edmond-Alexandre Hédouin (1820-1889)







La levée du camp de Midi - oil on canvas by Emile Loubon (1809-1863)








Les menons en tête d'un troupeau en Camargue by Émile Loubon






I finally walked back down to visit a room filled with sculptures, though the ones I was drawn to were some of the smaller framed ones hanging on the side walls and a bust, which immediately drew me back to some similar sculpted busts I had seen at a Museum in Bournemouth.




La prise de Damiette by Jean-Pancrace Chastel  - 1754/57 marble
























Poèmes idylliques païens - 1889/1904 by Jean-Antoine Injalbert




































I really enjoyed the number of hours I spent at the Museum, whose extended exhibit premises under the name of Jean Planque Collection, some streets further down I'd also have access to with the same entrance ticket.










No comments:

Post a Comment