Monday 1 June 2015

The two day trip to Senegal (Day 2 afternoon) - Lac Rose - The 24th of May 2015


Soon after having droped Layla at her Hotel Aly and I headed towards the Lac Rose, which I hadn't initially considered visiting, as I felt I wouldn't have time but that I am glad I did because I was absolutely mesmerised the moment we approached this immense lake - Lake Retba, named for its waters. The pink tinged colour is due to the presence of Dunaliella Salina algae, which produce a red pigment which in turns absorbs the light thus providing that particular colour I was told to be more visible during the dry season.
 
 
The lake is known for its salt content and salt is said to be exported across the region due to the onworking activity of about 3,000 colectors, men and women from all over Western Africa, who work 6 to 7 hours a day (Sunday included).
 
 
I came across several men collecting the salt and women carrying  it onto land. I saw them placing it in numbered piles that occupied quite a large extension, while men shoved it into plastic bags placed near those piles to be later transported in vans.
 
 
It was quite a sight. I couldn't keep my eyes away form that pinkish coloured extension of water, which despite the hard work involved provides a living for many.













































(To be continued)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment