Tuesday, 15 October 2013

The Uzbek culture and traditions circuit, Al-Bukhari village, Samarkand outskirts (Day 10 - midday) - The 16th of September 2013


We were having lunch at a villager's, so upon our arrival at the location we wandered about part of the village, which comprised several "little" farms, one of which was our host's and a huge cotton field.

Having had to go through the whole process of cotton picking while she was attending University Saudat told us quite a few secrets concerning the picking itself but also what had been behind the compulsory use of university students during the picking epoch then.

As we got back to the patio of our host we noticed the tables had already been partly set for us though we were to watch how the famous Uzbek bread was baked first. Having inadvertently looked to the side I was not surprised to see the well known "pee instruments" by the night pot, as well as the mattresses with the holes in them. There were two children among the family members, one we had seen the moment we had reached the farm and the baby one we could see sitting in his baby car.

As part of the welcoming rituals some of us followed our host as she showed us the house around and especially the room in which she kept the "suzani" and her former wedding clothes together with her bridegroom's. I could see she was really proud whilst showing us her "possessions".

Spread around other rooms  we could see the salad plates that would later be placed on our tables.

Before having sat down for lunch we watched one of ladies baking the typical Uzbek bread the traditional way and whether that had any influence on us is disputable, but the truth is once the "lepeshkas" were brought to the table and we tasted them, it was as if we had participated in the whole baking process (... they tasted really good).

Our meal was really good, from the starters through to the main course (pilaf) and the choice of different fruits afterwards. I once more concluded that eating at local people's homes was definitely the best choice.

When the meal was over I went out onto the village side road to "talk" to some children and hand them out some of the things I had brought for them and we did have a good time blowing soap balloons. I also handed out some perfumes I had brought for the ladies of the house (as I had realised still back at home that we would be having several meals at local people's homes) and we also did have some "fun" trying out some of those around the oven, once they kept on cooking whilst waiting for another group of foreigners to eat at their place.

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment