Monday 5 March 2018

Calheta de São Miguel, Santiago island - Cape Verde - The handing out of presents (late evening) - The 10th of February 2018



(...)

As the sun went down we had to stop handing out presents, once I wouldn't be able to take photographs so as to show the school godparents. Before we headed towards the harbour to locate Marlene I counted the number of presents left and realised we hadn't distributed but a mere 42, which meant we would have to work really hard the next day.
 
 

















It was much colder than I had ever encountered in Cape Verde and I dont't think any of us was really prepared for the low temperatures. We were fortunate enough to have got shelter in Marlene's warmed up bus-restaurant, because of the kitchen being so close to the tables. Marlene's young girl got herself a godmother (Sónia's sister), as I handed the presents to Leizini. 
 
 
Marlene, whom we have developed a close relationship with was given her presents as well, the ones both I and Noëlle had brought. Verónica Conceição would be given her's later and so would Edson, who was away at his cousin's.
 
 
 



































It had been a long tiring day, particularly for me, though by the time I finished having dinner all the tiredness had vanished, as if due to an unexpected spell (or Marlene's magic cooking skills).








 

No comments:

Post a Comment