Wednesday 20 March 2013

On Father's day ...







It was Father's day yesterday and similarly to what happened throughout my childhood and part of my adulthood on this particular day I have praised my Mother for having played the role of the "absent" Father figure.


Both my daughters, and since Faye's demise, Mia have in turn praised me for similar reasons ...; it sounds as if no man has been around the household or in our lives  ... or has (have) not assumed the role he (they) were supposed and expected to ... their photos having symbolically been the fuel of our imagination.


Did we miss what we never had? ... or if we did, what was left weren't but mere hues of ephemeral presences ... the rest  being "reconstructions" of our "agitated" souls and the projected images of the Fathers we would have liked to have (had).


I do remember my youngest daughter asking my Mother once the reason  for there being more women  at home than men ... and her rather unhesitant response that men who had made their way into our family had either passed away fairly young or had moved out soon after having moved in ... as if a spell had fallen upon them ... as if the straightforwardness and "strength" of their women had driven them away ...


Whether these reasons are true or not, I would like  to believe that  sometime in the future ... like in fairy tales the spell (if it does exist in fact) might  be broken and that we'll start seeing more of them around the house ...









No comments:

Post a Comment