Saturday 8 January 2011

Sculpted feelings in exhibition at the Gulbenkian Museum Gardens ... or somewhere over the rainbow ...


It was pouring down with rain as I walked into the Gulbenkian Museum this morning and although my attention was  immediately drawn to some sculptures I had never seen before, it wasn't until a few minutes later (when the intensity of the rain slowed down)  that I managed to see what they were about ...

Homeless people ... people we come across with everyday ... people ...

I was touched by their expressions ... (some of which had a stronger impact because of the drops of rain that could easily be "seen" as tears) ...














I was also touched by what the captions said ...



"Orphanages have been my home since I was six years old. The last few years I have stayed at friends' houses. I manage to get by selling street papers".









"I am just sitting here looking at people passing by, hoping that they can spare a bit of change. I have an apartment but I am afraid to stay there. The streets are my home".




"Have some compassion! Help me give my children and myself something to eat. Have mercy".











"I used to work at a factory, I was married and I have four children. I lost my wife in a car accident and to drown my sorrows I started drinking. I lost my job and now I am staying at a shelter".






"It all hurts a little less when I am high on coke, then the pain seems to leave my body and float up to the stars in the sky".







"Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high there is a land I've heard of once in a lullaby".
(E.Y. Harburg)





An exhibition worth being seen and "felt" ... 






No comments:

Post a Comment