Thursday 14 November 2019

Guimarães, Portugal - On the way to the historic centre - the Church and Monastery of S. Domingos; the main square - The 1st of November 2019


It was raining quite heavily as I left the hotel, but I was nevertheless determined to make my way to the historic centre. Soon after walking up the street that led to the main square I came across a Church facade that I later identified as pertaining to the Church and  Monastery of São Domingos.
 






















Upon entering the religious temple I realised a mess was just about to finish, so I patiently waited so as to have the opportunity of  visiting the 14th century Gothic church and get a glimpse of its 18th century altar piece, I found to be very interesting.
 
 
 























 
 
 
 
The main square was almost empty but there was an Autumn-like atmosphere I was drawn to. I approached a sculpture that stood in the further distance and soon noticed it was the result of a project called " Art will try to fix you", in which discarded wheelchairs and other objects associated or previously used by people with mobility disabilities were utilized. I must say I was impressed by both the idea behind the Art piece but also its final result - two different faces on either side of it.
 
 
 






































 

No comments:

Post a Comment