Tuesday 21 February 2012

Some touching letters from the children of Calheta ...



Among some of the presents and photos I was given by the "godmothers" (who travelled to Cape Verde)  on their way back to hand out to other "godmothers" were some touching letters addressed to me, wishing  my prompt recovery and making some "appeals", which I was touched by.












Local cloths and presents (left) and photos from Rosana and Erica (right).












Local biscuits (left) and letters written by the children (right).




"I would like to tell you that I am happy, but I can't because I am surrounded by girls writing to their "godmothers" and I haven't got any to write to, so I have decided to address you these words to let you know how much I would like to have someone to  write to, just like them (...)"  - extract written by a 13 year old girl.


"(...) I would like you to be my "godmother" but I don't want you to think that I want it because you are white or  Portuguese, but because I know you are a good person.(...) I'll understand it if you refuse my request, though (...)" - extract written by a 12 year girl.


By having concentrated on finding "godparents" for those girls who are in need more than others I have slightly overlooked the fact that for many the importance of having a "designated godmother" is simply knowing that someone (with a name) somewhere cares for them, irrespective of getting basically the same things as those who have "godmothers" (I always see to it).

With the help of the "active" godmothers" we'll try to look for other committed people to join us in this project.









No comments:

Post a Comment