Monday 5 December 2016

Cyprus - My 7 day circuit across the country - Day 7 afternoon - Troodos Mountains - The UNESCO Church of Panagia tis Asinou - The 11th of November 2016



We approached the village of Nikitari beyond which the 12th century rough stone walled church of Panagia tis Asinou stood in the middle of a valley surrounded by pines. We managed to stay in one of the parts of the church for quile a while, which was an absolute privilege despite the fact that once again no pictures could be taken. Illustrating various religious themes the over 100 frescoes are among some of the best realistic type of painting style. 











































No description will ever get near the impact the frescoes had on me ... I won't even attempt to ... once I don't feel it would be "fair" on what they impart ... I was at times disturbed, others astoundedly speechless ...

As we moved away from Troodos and approached Larnaca with its red tinged sky ... I knew I'd miss Cyprus ... we were just a few hours away from our flight back to Paris ... and I felt I was richer than when I had first set foot on Cypriot territory six days before ...


















No comments:

Post a Comment