Friday 11 November 2011

Cape Verde, Calheta de São Miguel (the morning of the second day ) ... still

(...)

According to the  time "schedule" I still had time to do some "Children of the world" sticker cards with them before reading out one of Aesop's Fables. What was supposedly to be done by the smaller girls, ended up catching the attention of the older ones who had already finished their "Art projects".

I should have known it because the designs are very appealing (even for grown ups) and then it allows them to learn a bit about the various traditional costumes of different countries, some of which they have never heard of.

We all got enthusiastic about it (I must confess) whilst trying to sellect the appropriate outfits for the specific "tribe girls".




















Explaning the girls where the traditional costumes are from (left); Eveline (right)

















Carla Veronica (left) and Jussara (right)

















Jessica Maria (left) and Jessica (right)

















Ana (left) and Eveline Natalina (right)


















Lucia (left) and Ana Galina (right)






It was then time to "tell" them the story - "The goose that laid golden eggs", which taking into account the author would be interesting enough for them to be attentive, but made even more interesting by being an amazingly nice illustrated pop up book version  of Aesop's fables.



















Looking at the pop up Goose (left); having Eveline read an extract (right).




Despite the fact that I feel the girls had an interesting morning I'll have photo albums made for each of them with the most meaningful moments to signal out the day I got to know them a little better, and above all to "eternalize" the morning ... for them.


Before heading onto Cutelo Miranda to have lunch at the Landim's, I went by Nha Francisca the moment Nelsinha was arriving with her mother's mother and a cousin.



She always looks sad, though from time to time a subtle smile brightens up her facial expression. I know she likes the things she is given, but maybe because of not being able (used) to express happiness she invariably looks as if she is not enjoying the moment, though it is obvious by the sequencing of moments that after a few minutes she started losing her "timidity" and the last photos show she is a lot more at ease.

I lost some time explaining her how writing on the board worked  and how she could even "technically" erase what she wrote on it and she  was fascinated by it, having experimented it a few times. For obvious reasons I haven't documented those moments, but I am sure I'll be able to next time I travel there.  




















Holding the doll Susana and her boyfriend sent her (left); holding their picture (right).



















Holding the board to sketch on (left) and the new T-shirt in front of her (right).




















Holding the new shorts in front of her (left) and the protective beaded rosary (right).


















The photo the "family" has wanted to take to send to Susana and her boyfriend (left) and the small present of six eggs they wanted me to bring for them (right).






Whenever (in the past) I was given beans and other "presents" I couldn't bring back with me to Portugal I used to give them or have Sibylle give them to nha Francisca ... this time it was the other way around ... what they gave me I had to give away for obvious transportation restrictions onboard (which these villagers don't understand in the name of friendship and recognition).






Going beyond the material giving, Winston Churchil's statement has never been truer ...


"We make a living  by what we get, we make a life by what we give."











2 comments:

  1. Uma linguagem diferente é uma visão da vida diferente.

    Federico Fellini, citado por Mary Cantwell in the New york Times.

    BELL

    ReplyDelete