Wednesday 2 November 2011

Cape Verde, Calheta de São Miguel (The morning of the 1st Day) - The 29th of October 2011



I got to Calheta fairly early in the morning and having had to select the Christmas presents for the children which would be handed out less than 6 hours later, found myself facing what happens to be a problematic situation the village dwellers have to "endure" almost every week - the unexpected cuts of electricity supply throughout the day. A wax candle helped me through this "ordeal" and by five I had organized it all.



    













My room at MiraMaio pension




I had my breakfast at around eight as Sibylle would be collecting me at nine, so as to organize the room at the ADEC academy prior to the arrival of the children, and it couldn't have been more envigorating, as I forgot all about the previous day's problems involving the luggage, the flight to Cape Verde and the drive to Calheta.














My breakfast table (left) and the lady who prepared it for me, Marlene (Right).




Three quarters of an hour later, the room was prepared with all the presents for the children spread around the room.  I must confess that until then I hadn't  quite realised I had brought so many things with me, so to make the handing out easier we (Sibylle and I) decided to call groups of children and whilst I handed them the presents, she took the photos.










































Different perspectives of the room with the presents spread on the tables





The first to walk in were some of the boys,  who got presents from their "godmothers", together with those who don't have any "godmothers" but whose Christmas presents were bought with Mr. Breitenstein's money.


















Wilson being handed his present (left) and opening it (right)








Wilson wearing his new shorts and T-shirt (left) and holding his godmother's photo (right).



















Eduardo listening attentively to what was being said about his Christmas and birthday presents (left) and wearing his new T-shirt (right).




















Veinilson wearing his new T-shirt (left) and Kevin holding his presents and his godparents'photo (right)







Patrik, Wilson, Gerson and Pedrilson (standing up from left to right); Kevin, Veinilson and Eduardo kneeling down from left to right) showing the 3D constructions bought with Mr. Breitenstein's money.




Kevin holding the 3D construction (left) and Marcio the puzzle (right) bought with Mr. Breitenstein's money.




















Gerson (left) and Pedrilson (right)



















Keven (left) and Patrik (right)







Wilson, Veinilson, Eduardo and Kevin (from left to right) writing thank you letters to their "godparents".






(to be continued)








No comments:

Post a Comment