Sunday 11 September 2011

Toulouse - The Church of Notre Dame du Taur and the Cathedral of Saint Etienne (the 5th of September 2011)



If the rue du Taur had impressed me on the way to the Saint Sernin Basilica it impressed me even more on the way back ... I don't exactly know why that was ... though I must confess I was absolutely mesmerised by it ...































The fortress like facade of the Church of Notre Dame du Taur stood out  proudly watching the numerous passers-by as I approached it ... an unexpected glimpse to a side street deviated my attention from it ... rue de Montoyol had just imposed itself ... with a discreet beauty I had to "capture" ...



though in no time I was almost kneeling down on the street pavement to be able to photograph its imposing 14th century crenelated steep wall ... and the staur  in one of its side niches.





This gothic medieval building said to have been built to accomodate the remains of the martyred Saint Saturnin has perpetuated his cult despite the fact that his relics have since then been moved to the nearby Basilica bearing his name.



Inside, a unique rib-vaulted nave leads to a transept opening out to two side chapels. Above the altar the artist BĂ©nezet painted the martyrdom of Saint Saturnin (attached by his feet to a an enraged bull, then dragged and torn to bits) at the end of the 19th century.





On the South wall a rather fainted painting caught my attention. According to written information it was uncovered  in 1872 and depicts the genealogy of Jacob dating back to the 14th century. 







Having realised that I wouldn't have time to visit some of the places I had intended to when I started this Toulouse tour at around 2 o'clock, I headed towards the Cathedral, so as to try to be able to visit it prior to having to collect the badge and material for the two day conference at the Ibis Hotel, just behind the hotel I was staying at.

The Augustins' Museum, which I passed on the way, and the Jacobins Convent I was really keen on visiting, would have to wait till the next time.

Seen from the outside the  Cathedral of Saint Etienne surprised me  because of its structure and style but it wasn't long until I realised it was the result of a juxtaposition of edifices built between the 11th and 20th century, with its flamboyant style western facade portal being overshadowed by  a 55 metre high doujon Tower and its north facade revealing a combination of north and south gothic styles.









Being worried about the time I must confess my attention was mainly focused on the barroque altarpiece and the side statues of the evangelists in white stone and marble, as well as some of the stained glass windows of one of the side chapels, but I feel I overlooked some of  the important works of Art it houses.



Walking back I didn't resist photographing some half-timbered houses to be seen along the area before reaching Joanne of Arch Square.




A feeling of  pure joy at having had the privilege of seeing so much and a certain "incompleteness"  for not having seen more ... accompanied me all the way to  the Ibis hotel ... 









No comments:

Post a Comment