Friday 29 June 2012

The forthcoming trip to Praia, Cape Verde (additional information)



I have today been handed two birthday presents for some of the girls whose birthdays  are in August - Josefine and Mena (whose "godmothers are Cecilia and Silvia respectively), to which I myself have added some for two additional girls (Josseanne and Ineida), together with some balls and two T-shirts I have bought for some of the boys at the emergency shelter in Achada de Santo Antonio. I have been promised some second-hand clothes for the boys by Ana do Vale, which I must confess made me particularly happy as so far I have not been able to collect any.


















A dress and some matching earrings bought by me on behalf of Cecilia for her "protégée" Josefine's birthday (left) and a birthday present (a dress and a book) for Mena  bought by her "godmother" Silvia, who has also handed me the money for her forthcoming school fee (right).

















 

The birthday presents I have bought for Ineida (left) and Josseanne (right).







The gifts I have bought for some of the boys at risk staying at the emergency shelter centre at Achada de Santo Antonio in Praia.








 Some gifts I have bought for the cooks who helped us organize the birthday party by cooking all the food and baking and decorating all the cakes for the group of 28 children last time and are likely to be doing the same for 24 children next time.




I am already concerned with the weight, which seems to always be a problem, particularly when travelling alone (or even in pairs) taking into account the actual number of children we are "helping" and the local needs, though I trust Marie Hélène and I will be able to (at least) carry what is imperative with us.


The most important is not to let the local communities down ... but I know they acknowledge our difficulties and are undeniably thankful for the energy and effort we are instilling into this project.












No comments:

Post a Comment