Thursday 4 August 2011

The blood clot that changed our lives forever ...




"Long life is denied us, therefore let us do something to show that we have lived" - Cicero


None of us could ever imagine that a blood clot (which proved to be fatal) would take Faye away from us at such an early age and  thus change our lives forever.

It will soon be five years and although I may not openly say or even show it ... there is not a single day in which I don't think of her.

It might be easy for people who have not been through such a painful experience to  quote or "prescribe" recovery solutions (as if it were a physical problem) ... "Hold onto good memories" ...  "Fortunately you have another daughter" ...  "Time will ease the pain "... , etc., etc.

Of course we hold onto memories and whether they are good or not may be of little importance ... I do have another daughter but I believe nobody takes the place of anybody else and as far as "time" is concerned I feel it does ease the grief but the pain of the loss is there ...  forever embedded in our heart, irrespective of the time.

Faye's untimely death has made me ponder on the concept of life and what we are expected to do throughout our daily "journey"... it has also made me re-evaluate the importance of the simple moments (one so often takes for granted) ... and to prioritise  ...

I have become a lot more silent, reflective,  quiet and contemplative.

Her excelling in giving her time to others during her short life has guided me through this new "journey" of life, whilst her loss has been strengthening my endurance ...

















The first photo we took together - September 1978 - Faye  at the age of three holding Mia just four months old; the three of us in 2006  (our last photo together).









1 comment:

  1. Une mer très tourmentée et déchaînée, avec des vagues hautes comme des montagnes, me fut montrée. Puis je m'aperçus que, sous la surface, régnaient une paix et une calme merveilleux.
    Cherche au fond de toi et trouve cette paix qui dépasse tout entendement, conserve-la, ce qui se passe au-dehors importe peu.

    BELL GARCÍA

    ReplyDelete