Tuesday 7 July 2020

Three books by the same author ...

 
There's something about the way Dinah Jefferies writes that drew me in as I "devoured" page after page in an almost unstopable way as I made my way through the intricate stories of  almost every character in the Tea Planter's wife set in Ceylon. Once I finished that book I couldn't help buying two other books written by her, one of which just published one year after the Tea Planter's wife publishing - The Silk Merchant's daughter set in Vietnam and the other one two years prior - The separation set in Malasia, where the author herself was born.
 






"The Tea Planter's wife is a wonderful book on so many levels, intensely moving and beautifully observed. I was enthralled from start to finish ... Ceylon leaps to life in dazzingly  lush detail. The sights, sounds and smells are masterfully conjured. Dinah Jefferies brings to the story a power and intensity that drew me in and wouldn't let me go in this intimate and emotional tale that explores where the bounderies of love lie. A deeply touching and unforgettable read that swept me away. I loved it." - Kate Furnival










"What a vivid and well researched story! It is an exquisite depiction of the colonial Vietnam on the brink of a new era; I could feel the humidity and the sweet scent of frangipani trees ... Dinah's writing is incredibly suspenseful and did not shy away from the harsh reality of warfare. I fevered with Nicole to the very last page; the tension is as taut as the silk that winds through it." - Lucinda Riley











"The separation is as intimate as a kiss and as sharp as the blade of a knife. In this captivating tale of the bonds that connect mother and daughter, Dinah Jefferies explores the dangerous ambiguities of the human heart by peeling away its misteries layer by layer." - David Gillham









 

No comments:

Post a Comment