Tuesday 31 October 2017

The National Museum of Ancient Art, Lisbon - The cribs - The 21st of October 2017


(...)

Cribs, which have undeniably had a huge impact on me as I made it through childhood and early adolescence do seem to touch me in a slightly different way nowadays. I can't help saying the 18th century ones on display at the National Museum of Ancient Art are well worth the visit, not only because of the religiousness attached to them and the Biblica figures but also (and mainly) because of the complexity, as well as the artistry of the pastoral and social portraying scenes around the Nativity.
 
 
As I admired the numerous details in both the displayed cribs from the Convents of Salésias and Nossa Senhora das Necessidades, I overheard some Spanish visitors refer to them as being some of the most beautifully ever carved cribs they had seen, which I personally felt to be true.
 
 



















































 

No comments:

Post a Comment