Sunday 2 March 2014

A captain's duty, Somali pirates, Navy SEALS and dangerous days at sea


I have read this true story of piracy and captain Philips' ordeal at sea in "bed captivity" whilst fighting a strong bout of influenza in which my reading capability was only partially affected.






What I mostly liked about the book was the fact that the "hero" of this extraordinary survival happens to be an ordinary man who feels he has become special by accident like many of us might if facing the same circumstances. 

His sense of duty did touch me as well as the humbleness with which he describes the events as they unfolded, but also his personal life prior to the ordeal.

Having had a grandfather who was equally a merchant marine captain, whose sense of honour prevailed in every moment of his life whether at sea or "safe land" did get me closer to captain Philips and what he represents.

I am now looking forward to seeing the film based on this unbelievable story, which  has had a strong impact on viewers so far and which I am sure will continue to even on those who have read the book.










No comments:

Post a Comment