Saturday 10 July 2010

"Street Art" in the heart of Lisbon ...

I started getting interested in "street art" when I  first visited San Francisco in 1989 and then again in 1990.

Although none of the artistic murals I have seen since then, with just a few exceptions, has really attracted my attention, I must confesss that from time to time I'd rather see some graffiti covering the walls of many of the "dying buildings" within our city, than the plain "demolishing like" façades ... looking us in the eye, as if to remind us that nothing is everlasting ...


As I was wandering around the city this morning ... I came across these buildings, which I just had to photograph prior to them being eventually demolished or painted over.

It was not only the overall image that attracted me, but especially the details (one that cannot be easily detected is the "eye" which being supended slightly moves back and forth, giving those who look at it the idea of being under surveillance.




















Note: According to the Lisbon cultural agenda these artistic demonstrations are included in the Crono Project headed by the urban artist Pedro Soares Neves, and whose aim is exposing artistic façades, which are to be painted by some of the most outstanding urban artists until  June 2011.

The façades on the top left have been painted by the Brazilian twin brothers Gustavo and Octávio Pandolfo, as well as the Italian artist Blu. The façade on the right has been painted by the Spanish artist Sam3.




No comments:

Post a Comment