Monday 8 April 2013

The book of illusions by Paul Auster ...








The more I read Paul Auster's books the more they challenge  my thoughts and even my emotions. The book of illusions is such a book "the unswerving compulsion to unearth, and ultimately understand another person's identity" the main theme according to the critic Mark Thalaite, in "a compelling literary mystery story, but also a complex and genuinely moving meditation on the nature of identity and how any attempt to live vicariously through another's life will always be doomed to failure".



I haven't resisted taking down some  of its quotes, though I could fill in endless pages with many more.



"We all want to believe in impossible things, I suppose, to persuade ourselves that miracles can happen."

"What matters is not how well you can avoid trouble, but how you cope with trouble when it comes."

"There was nothing to see, nothing to distract me from succumbing to my fears, and the longer I kept my eyes shut, the more terribly I saw my fears wanted me to see."



An absolute "must" as far as book reading is concerned.








No comments:

Post a Comment