Tuesday 25 September 2012

Calheta de São Miguel, Cape Verde - The morning of the 16th of September 2012


 

Half way through the night I woke up and started wondering whether it would not be easier to distribute the presents, money and photos if I had them organised per child ..., as Marie Hélène and Jocelyne were sleeping sound I turned on the light in the bathroom not to wake them up and  started slowly putting things into order, which I managed to by half past five in the morning, but the problem was then where to take a nap, once the bed was filled with presents. I ended up lying on the floor till  the sun broke through the window curtains.


























As we were walking towards the breakfast room I looked out and noticed Marline was already sitting outside waiting for us and naturally to collect her birthday presents, so we had her come up and even before having had anything to eat handed her out the birthday presents sent by Charlotte.

















Marline




















Soon after having had breakfast we decide to walk towards the village, so as to try to locate some of the mothers and children before they headed for the morning mess.

As we were on our way to Jussara's I saw two calves with some strange "apparatus" around their heads, so ran towards them to take some photos, as Marline explained they were used not to allow them to stray into he cultivated fields and eat the seeds.

















Prior to having reached Jussara's we also came across a couple burning the skin of a recently killed pig, which would soon be "transformed" into chunks of meat. I couldn't resist taking a photo.









Jussara was particularly happy with the presents sent by Cristina and was soon enthusiastically looking at the photos I had taken her the last time, being  in turn watched by her cousin, Eveline, who having heard my voice rushed out to collect the birthday present sent by Dora.


















Jussara























Eveline




I took the opportunity to hand out the money for their school to Jussara's eldest sister, whom I filmed thanking Cristina and Dora, on behalf of the family, for what was being done for her sister and niece.










(to be continued)










No comments:

Post a Comment