Thursday 14 December 2017

My 12 day stay in Isfahan - Day 2 (morning cont.) - Isfahan - The Holy Bethlehem Church - The 28th of November 2017


(...)

Having been built by an Armenian merchant named Khaje Petros during the Safavid dinasty under the ruling King Abbas I, the Bethlehem Church's interior is richly covered in magnificent paintings depicting the life of Jesus, as well as gilded decorations which strongly contrast with the rather sober outside and courtyard.
 
 
I was fascinated with the beauty of the dome and some of the wall paintings, namely the one depicting Jesus and his disciples on the Sea of Galilee, the representation of the last Supper and the Nativity scene, though I felt that most of them were worth being noted. 
 
 
The various floral and decorative motif ceramic tiles were in strongly vivid colours which blended perfectly with the overall atmosphere.
 
 
There were some Armenian written inscriptions dating back to 1627 in remembrance of those who performed charitable work for the Church. 
 
 
I spent quite a long time in the church not only photographing the paintings and just letting the overall atmosphere take over my senses. Churches have such a soothing effect on me that despite the fact that I don't often visit them I do feel well inside their premises.










































































































































































 

No comments:

Post a Comment