Wednesday 13 December 2017

My 12 day stay in Isfahan - Day 1 (afternoon and evening) - strolling around and Day 2 (morning) - Isfahan - Heading towards the Holy Bethlehem Church - Si-o-se Pol; the Armenian quarter - Julfa Square - The 28th of November 2017


The previous afternoon and evening were rather interesting and "adventurous", despite the fact that there are no photos to illustrate my getting lost in the labyrinthine city alleys in search of a guide and driver I had travelled with in May, whom I was handing out some presents to, as well as the equally labyrinthine return to the quarter I was living in, as the sun set. Street identification and references  were more difficult as I made my way back "home" without any city map and local money - just my "gut instinct" and the written address. 
 
 
I made it "home" though and will forever remember the experience and the people who tried to help me through what could have easily turned into an ordeal.
 
 
I woke up very early in the second day, so as to go across the Zayanderud river and visit the Holy Bethlehem church I hadn't been to in 2014. Following the map directions I made it through the long tree lined streets till I reached the dry river and sighted the Si-o-se Pol, built in the Safavid period, more precisely between 1599 and 1602 having been financed by Abbas I under the supervision of his chancellor - Allahverdi Khan Undiladze, whose statue proudly stood at the entrance of one of its 33 span sides.

 
I was not expecting the river to be dry though I must confess the sight was still impressive, particularly because of the stretches of well tended gardens on both sides of the river bed.
 
 
I did remember having visited the bridge at sunset some years before. Despite not being illuminated this time I felt its "raw" beauty.



























Heading towards the New  Julfa quarter took some time. As I walked I realised the distances were huge when compared to the projected image on the map, but I had time and  was willing to "pay the price" of getting tired for the pleasure of discovering some alleys and little corners I wouldn't be able to otherwise.  
 
 
Having been established in 1606 the New Julfa quarter has a very distinct mark when compared to the other quarters. I passed by the Armenian Vank Cathedral I had been mesmerised by before and made my way to the Bethlehem church, having stopped at the cosy Julfa square for a while.

















 









(To be continued)

 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment