Wednesday 27 September 2017

On Paula Rego's documentary film and the temporary exhibition at Colombo shopping mall ...


I have recently watched a documentary film Paula Rego - secrets and stories on the well known Portuguese born artist prior to having as if by accident come across a temporary exhibition named The fantastic world of Paula Rego in a shopping mall in Lisbon.
 
 
The characters exposed on many of her paintings and the bluntness with which she has their acts projected out of the canvas and paper representations have always impacted me and though I do not consider them among some of my favourite paintings I must admit they often stay in my mind over long periods of time, as I try to further explore (to no avail) the potential meanings of the details.  
 
 
The documentary film directed by her son is a unique insight into her life and her work. I must once more confess I was at times shocked by her intimate approach to a number of subjects brought about in it, though in reality I shouldn't have expected her to be any different from the naked bluntness she uses in many of her sketches, etchings and paintings. 
 





















The exhibition was divided in four subject matters. Some of the etchings on display were particularly interesting.
 
 
 


The blue fairy whispers to Pinocchio - From the 1995 Walt Disney cinema series.





















From the traditional folk/fairy tales written by Giovanni Francesco Straparola - 2006  the Prince Pig series.





















Tiger Lily on the marooner's rock (left) - Captain Hook and the lost boy (right) - 1992 Peter Pan series. 
 

















Mermaid drowning Wendy (left). Wendy sewing on Peter's shadow (right)- 1992 Peter Pan series.










 

No comments:

Post a Comment