Sunday 30 April 2017

Dubrovnik, Croatia - St.Onofrio's large fountain; around the city walls (first part) - The 23rd of April 2017


I set off fairly early in Sunday morning so as to be able to do the Old City Walls before exploring other parts of the city I hadn't had the opportunity to visit the previous day.  Because access to the up to 6 metre thick and 22 metre high walls was fairly close to St. Onofrio's large fountain I took the chance of there being very few people out on the streets to photograph it properly.





















Once on the walls which, are said to have been the main reason behind the safeguarding of the independent city state for  centuries as well as the protection of one of Europe's most preserved medieval cities I headed towards the Lovrijenac fortress side. I could clearly see the size of St. Onofrio's fountain from above, as well as the San Franciscan Monastery with its imposing bellfry and the extension of the Stradun. 



The view was magnificent, not to mention the one of the Lovrijenac fortress outside the walled city. Whichever side I looked all the views seemed to astound me, whether they were mere roof tops or the Adriatic sea, and more so when I reached  alookout post followed by a doorway and the Jesuit church of Saint Ignatious "embedded" in the intricate roof tops and the Lokrum island came into sight. One calling out my attention to the walls and the other outside them.














































(To be continued)









No comments:

Post a Comment