Wednesday 7 December 2016

The latest book I have read ...





















I have just finished reading the 734 pages of one more of Orhan Pamuk's novels - "A strangeness in my mind" and if it has taken me longer to read this book of his, it is simply because I did get carried away by his writing style and did quite often re-read what had touched me in his story-telling approach.



"What matters more in love: What we wish for, or what our fate has in store? Do our choices dictate whether we will be happy or not, or are these things determined by forces beyond our control?

 
 
 
If "this sprawling story of a street vendor's romance is above all a love letter to the Turkish city in all its faded, messy, dusty glory" is true, it is also true that "at the end of A strangeness in my mind you may not remember the manner in which the urban redevelopment initiative progressed, but you'll remember Mevlut. The unschooled, "poor cousin" of this epic struggles everyday with the philosophical dilemma of how one should live. In this way the human drama outshines the portrait of a fascinating city".









 

No comments:

Post a Comment