Tuesday 13 September 2016

On my way to York via Porto and Liverpool - Porto, Palácio de Cristal gardens and the Carmelitas Church - The 4th of September 2016



I soon headed towards the Palácio de Cristal gardens, where I came across a book festival exhibit. I must confess I was astonished as to the number of stalls and particularly Northern editors. Lisboa is known as the capital city but I feel Porto is a lot more active than the South when it comes to cultural oriented events (I may be wrong ... though).

 
An awfully strident singer accompanied by a musician stood in a semi-circle bandstand adapted stage, as very few people sat in the strip of grass right in front of it. I didn't stop and continued strolling along till I came across some strutting peackocks and ducks close to one of the ponds. The domed pavilion, named after the golden medalist Rosa Mota stood on my left almost hidden behind the vegetation.


The gardens seemed quite different from the ones I recalled having walked on in the past. One could see the river Douro and magnificent views of the surrounding banks.


 










The sight of a chapel, that must have always been there but which I had no recolection of, came as a surprise. The provided information read  that it was built in memory of the King of Sardinia, Carlos Alberto, who abdicated from his Royal position in favour of his son, having sought refuge in Portugal following the defeat at the Battle of Noval - " He reigned fairly, fought bravely and died as a Saint".













































As I got out I made my way back the same way having had the opportunity to briefly visit the Carmelitas Church interior during the mass ceremony.
 
 




























(To be continued)









No comments:

Post a Comment