Thursday 15 September 2016

My two days in York - On the way to Durham; Durham Market Place - The 7th of September 2016



We got up fairly early so as to take a train to Durham. As I was having breakfast at the communal hotel breakfast room I unexpectedely realised the lampshades were made out of quite a few cuttlery ... (what a creative ... and rather artistic approach to decoration).





















The train ride  didn't last too long ... it seemed it had taken longer for me to walk from Durham's train station to the market place. The blisters on my feet were getting worse and walking (which is something I enjoy doing) a lot more painful, though I continued  forcing myself to walk. We stopped at a Boots' for advice before we made our way into the market place, which very much looked like the heart of the city.
 
 




















The Fighting cocks pub  (above on the right) just beyond Framwelgate  Bridge (underneath). Medieval cockrel bones were found by archaeologists very near that spot.
 
 



























The Market place looked quite an agreable place and it must have certainly been the heart of the city. It has medieval origins though it is largely of Victorian origin nowadays.  The imposing statue of the 3rd Marquess of Londonderry occupies the centre of the square.

 
We strolled around the huge market hall  until we made it back to the square and walked into St. Nicholas church turned into what looked like older people's entertaining- restaurant sort of premises (but I may be totally wrong).
 
 



























(To be continued)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment