Monday 9 May 2016

My 4 day trip to Dorset (Last day morning cont.) - Christchurch Priory (interior) - The 25th of April 2016


(...)

I was impressed with the Church, the size of its nave (95 metres long) and the heavy column Norman style  though what mostly caught my attention and had me speechless were the carvings on the stalls and the Jesse reredos behind the high altar illustrating the prophecy in the book of Isaiah which says " (...) and there shall come forth a shoot out of the stem of Jesse, and a branch shall grow out of his roots" beautifully illustrated in the great figure of Jesse lying at  their foot.







































Fairly close to the Lady  Chapel I came across a rather different stainglass window from the ones I had seen before and whose provided explanation stated it had been commissioned to mark 900 years of worship showing a starry night in which the cross of Christianity dominates the design surrounded by a pattern of circles arranged to create the feeling of spice and time.
 
 
It wasn't but at home that I realised the photo I took of the famous feature (the miraculous bean) which attracts pilgrims from all over the world didn't come out right, which I personally regret.
 
 
 
 
I left the church with the feeling I could have stayed much longer, which I didn't simply because I had a train to catch and not much time left to eat.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment