Designed by the Court architect Domenico Merlini the Old Audience Chamber was used for audiences until the Throne Room was completed. The ceiling allegory depicting the flourishing of Arts, Sciences, Agriculture and Trade during the reign of Stanislaw August was painted by Marcello Bacciarelli, who also painted the portrait of the mother of the King and the paintings over the doors.
Portrait of Konstancja Poniatowska (1696-1759), the King's mother.
The Canaletto Room is the most important of all the ante rooms leading to the Old Audience Chamber. The paintings of the series of 22 Warsaw street scenes and a canvas showing the King's election were all commissioned to the famous Venetian artist Bernardo Bellotto known as Canaletto.
The Chapel where the King and the court attended everyday religious ceremonies suffered major restoration. Some of the King's regalia, such as a sceptre, the chain of the Order of the White Eagle and the ceremonial sword made for his coronation are in display.
The Officers' Room was used by the officers of the Crown horse guards when Royal audiences took place in the Old Audience Chamber. The 5 paintings of Arcadian scenes are by the 18th century Dutch painter Jurrican Andriesen.
The Hall of the Crown Horse Guards is where the Royal guards saluted the visitors heading for the Old Audience Chamber. The bust of the ancient Macedonian ruler, Alexander the Great by Jean-Antoine Houdon was worth noting, as well as a 19th century clock.
The way down by the grand staircase.
(To be continued)