Tuesday 4 November 2014

Salam Ouessant by Azouz Begag


Carrying a hard cover book in one's handbag, so as to read it during the long bus and subway rides may not be handy, this being the reason why I bought a few pocket books to help me face the often fastidious hours spent on them.
 
The synopsis of Salam Ouessant appealed to me and despite knowing nothing about its author (shame on me) the moment I started reading it not only did I fall for Azouz Begag's style of writing interspersed by poetical-like thoughts that had me ponder on life's objectives in general and cultural inheritage related aspects as well but also children-parents relationships whenever one of the parents is estranged. 
 
I read the book in three days and have had an enormous curiosity in reading some of the books already edited by this French-Algerian author since then.
 
  
 






"De mon père je tennais cette philosophie: ne partager avec les autres que le meilleur de soi et garder ses malheurs au fond, sous la godasse, jusqu'à ce que le temps les réduise en poussière, parce que le malheur est le plus grand dénominateur commun entre les humains. Alors il vaut mieux que chacun garde sa part pour soi, sinon notre besoin de consolation ne s'apaise jamais."



"Si on ne met pas de mots sur les choses, ells n'existent pas. Chaque mot, une chose. Pas de mots, pas de choses. Elles n'existent pas. Elles restent sur le seuil comme des idées, des augures."









 

No comments:

Post a Comment