Friday 11 April 2014

The Armenians, Art, Culture and Religion by Nira and Michael Stone and An Anthology of Armenian Legends and Poems by Zabelle C. Boyajian



The book I have just finished on Armenian Art, Culture and Religion is a little gem. Although I had initially expected it to have a more extensive approach to Armenia I am glad it didn't, because its reading is light and the magnificent photos do feed one's imagination and willingness to further explore such a culturally rich country.







Having as a starting point the internationally important ensemble of Armenian illuminated manuscripts pertaining to the collection of the Chester Beatty Library in Dublin, the authors have sellected some of the rarest and most beautiful ones to illustrate the pages of this book and ultimately share them with the readers in a few informative chapters highlighting the remarkable achievements of the Armenian culture in the artistic, archiectural and spiritual sectors.

This precious book has not only had a strong impact on me but has also further awaken my willingness to visit the country , which I (in fact) will in just a few days' time.





I was equally impressed by the anthology of Armenian legends and poems, which because of the nature of its contents has taken me longer to read. The fact that it is said to be one of the very few translations of Armenian Literature pertaining to the pagan era has had me wonder why such a unique cultural and linguistic identity hasn't been translated into other languages and made its way to a wider public.






Portugal having directly benefited from the presence and committment of one of the greatest Armenian enterpreneurs, Art lovers and considered among one of the richest men in the world, Calouste Gulbenkian to whom we owe the access to a rare collection of over 6,000 artefacts being exhibited at the Museum which bears his name, doesn't seem to have done much to raise our curiosity in regards to Armenia and the Armenians, judging by the non existence of books and other information I was looking for as a preparation for the trip.



In regards to Zabelle Boyajian's book I feel it is a pity I haven't been able to buy the version which includes the author's fine colour illustrated work, praised by several reviews and which I had a quick glance at, though I am still confident I might be able to get it one of these days. 








1 comment:

  1. I had the opportunity to visit Armenia on Christmas day 2018 and was equally impressed by its existence among hostile neighbours for such along time. It claims to be the cradle of civilisation, the Eden of the Bible has some merit and has to be seen to be believed, given that ancient Armenia stretched from the Black Sea to the Caspian sea. Yet while there, I had difficulty in getting a proper book of the country. The world and its scholars seems to have overlooked or ignored such a historically,culturally important country for political reasons.

    ReplyDelete