Tuesday 1 April 2014

My two day adventure in Bilbao - Day 1 (afternoon) - La Alhóndiga, on the way to Casco Viejo, Arenal and Casco Viejo streets - The 29th of March 2014



(...)

Under the influence of the pension's receptionist I headed towards el Casco Viejo. As I was strolling along Autonomia I sighted La Alhóndiga on the left hand side and rather than having to wait till I came back from el Casco Viejo I went across to quickly visit the once 1906 warehouse for wine merchants turned into a cultural and leisure centre.

The rectangular storey building was very impressive as seen from the outside though its aligned interior naves with exquisite  artistic decorated columns were equally impressive. The little Arriquibar square it was located at had a "cosy" type of atmosphere with its cobblestone resting area and a few decorative artefacts, amongst which was an armillary sphere topping a small fountain.
































As I walked along Alameda Urquijo a few interesting buildings caught my attention. A little further on stood the Sagrado Corazon Church and Jesuit residence, whose façade I was particularly impressed with.






















Just prior to reaching ria de Bilbao the Central Plaza with a monument to Don Diego Lopéz de Haro.















As I reached the Arenal bridge connecting one side of the city to Casco Viejo I took a few photographs of ria de Bilbao and its  Arenal side-walk before having gone across into the heart of the Casco Viejo's colourful streets. To my left hand side the mid Baroque Saint Nicholas Church, whose building work is said to have started in the mid 18th century caught my attention as it proudly stood in the Arenal square.














































Outside a soap shop in the heart of Casco Viejo (right).







(To be continued)








No comments:

Post a Comment