Thursday 9 January 2014

Restlessness ... and reading



I have been restless at night, which together with the recent cold the country has been subjected to has had a bearing on my "reading. The moment I get home from work I "dive" into my bedroom sheets and grab a book ..., not just any book (the one recently selected has been Paul Auster's latest) ...

I have twice been almost late for work because of having read through till early morning ... but the pleasure I have had out of reading the 341 pages of "Report from the interior" is immense despite not having been one of his most acclaimed books so far.







The fact that it is a recollection of his early sensations and impressions followed by extended synopses of two films which have had a strong impact in his youth (the almost Kafkaesque drama "The incredible shrinking man" and "I am a fugitive from the chain gang), a series of letters written to his former wife and a selection of photographs, has turned it into a widely varied reflection, I have none the less appreciated, particularly because many of our recollections and "memories" of the past bear that particular form.









No comments:

Post a Comment