Saturday 16 November 2013

Cape Verde, Calheta de São Miguel - The handing out of the presents -The 10th of November 2013 (afternoon)


(...)

As we were heading to Manguinho we came across Rosana, Josefine and Ana Elena who were bringing me letters for the "godmothers". I couldn't help thinking how important it is for these children to thank those who worry about them or show them some sort of affection, and how sweet it was of them to walk such distances to just say "thank you". I wish some of our western children and even some of us were able to show that degree of respect.

I handed the camera to Leinira and Tarine so that I could have (at least) one photo with them. 




















A few metres ahead we came across Marquinho and his sister Lou who were also heading to the pension to hand me a "thank you" letter.
























We were beginning to feel tired and hungry and by then Leinira's mother, who had invited me for lunch must have been worried as we were running late, but I couldn't resist stopping for a while to still talk to Helida and Adriana's mother, as I handed her the envelopes with the money for her little girls' school needs.









I don't think I have ever eaten so slowly ... but the moment I realised Nate had set the table outside in the inner patio, where I love to relax I just sat down and finally took my time to appreciate the meal and the conversation.



















I still had two presents left and a public transportation to catch by the time I left Nate, but there again on the way back to the pension I kept on meeting people who had come to either talk to me or thank me ... people like Andelson's mother who being four months pregnant lost her husband ... people I couldn't simply ignore  ... in spite of running the risk of missing the last available "Hiace" I still stopped to talk to them.



















Nélida's family (left). Veronica and her mother (right).



















Andelson and his mother (left) holding a bottle with local beans they wanted me to bring as a "thank you" gift for some financial support I provided her with with some extra money Luisa Silva had given me for anything that might be necessary locally.  A  group of village people I talked to on the way back to the pension (right).





Prior to getting back I still walked into the upper village to look for Lola's grandmother, so as to hand her the envelope with money to provide for Lola's school needs.



















Little Eduardo's aunt (left) and Lola's grandmother (right) holding the envelopes with the money for the boy and girl's school needs respectively.





Approaching the pension I realised there were quite a few children outside and on the upper veranda waiting for me  in order to hand me letters for the "godparents".

















I finally relaxed the moment I saw the last children I had to hand out presents to (Nelsinha and Patrick) waiting for me as well.



















Patrick (who had been waiting for a "godmother for more than a year) holding his new T-shirt (left). Nelsinha (right) surrounded by her presents.






















Meno (left) holding the computer (kindly provided by a Banking Institution for which many of the "godmothers work for) he will be in charge of so that the children might speak to the "godparents" via Skype. His fiancée heavily pregnant (right).







(To be continued)











No comments:

Post a Comment