Tuesday 15 October 2013

The Uzbek culture and traditions circuit, Samarkand and first impressions on Tachkent (Day 10 afternoon and evening) - The 16th of September 2013


(...)

Because our high speed train to Tachkent wasn't but at 17 in the afternoon we were given about one hour to stroll around one part of the city prior to being driven to the train station. We had obviously not been to that part of Samarkand, which very much looked like any European city area, with just a few exceptions, such as women tending the side walk garden flowers, a street vendor selling caramel apples or even an old man with a scales being paid for people who decided to find out what their weight was. I found it rather exquisite, though I must admit I felt all of those fit perfectly well in the modern life that seemed to go on simultaneously.





















I looked at the street walks for the first time and noticed they were quite elaborate with little flowers drawn in the geometrical design patterns. The train station to which only those holding tickets had access was astonishing (I believe we should learn from the Uzbeks to preserve those type of public places), not to mention the service on board, as well as the train station upon arrival at the capital city after a two hour and a half hour trip, which was mostly uneventful.
























Saudat and Josette



I felt an urge to photograph my ticket (for future reference) because there was not a single word I could understand let alone identify my first and family name, which I was told had been imprinted in the ticket itself.


















A "farewell" dinner had been reserved at a well known local restaurant and disco which comprised several dining and entertainment rooms. 

We had dinner on the upper floor, having from a certain moment onwards been "accompanied" by a "jazzy-like" trio with an amazing accordionist who in spite of being (looking) rather old still performed brilliantly.










I didn't particularly pay attention to the dinner (the exception being the desert) as I was focussed on the musicians and their performance.

As we were leaving a show was going on another dining room and so we didn't resist watching part of it. Fairly young dancers put on a show of "twist" and rock and roll soon followed by a belly-dancing type of performance with seven young ladies barely dressed, which didn't look like it could "fit in" the atmosphere or be accepted by the type of audience ..., but it was and to our surprise highly acclaimed.

















The 4 star hotel we would be staying at was right in the centre of the city and fairly soon after I was handed my room key I went to sleep, not that it had been a tiring day but for some sort of unknown reason I felt exhausted.










No comments:

Post a Comment