Friday 4 October 2013

The Uzbek culture and traditions circuit, Aydar Yurt camp and Samarkand restaurant, Day 7 (morning) - The 13th of September 2013



Saudat and I were the last ones to get up, most probably because we must have also been the last ones to go to sleep the previous night. We soon made it to the open air restaurant, where we sat down to have a wonderful breakfast.































I didn't resist having a look at what the nomads make during the long winter nights in terms of craftsmanship, which I found to be rather interesting particularly because behind the rather simple aspect there is a lot of work involved once most of the things in display were made out of wool and camel skin.

As I headed towards "my" yurt, which I really enjoyed (having slept most soundly, despite not having slept much as far as amount of time is concerned) I photographed some small decorative details to be seen on the yurt tents.

I like simplicity as much as I like complexity as far as artefacts are concerned but this principle also applies to the way of living. Having to leave the camp behind was making me feel rather sad. We would be back on the road and by late morning (hopefully) in Samarkand, but I wish we could have stayed one more day around the Aydar area and taken advantage of the "raw" nature, the silence and the starry skies at night, which vaguely reminded me of the African ones I also left behind ... one day.


 
























We drove for endless hours with virtually nothing along the road with the exception of a few farms, some cattle grazing and the control barriers (from the Kazakh back into the Uzbek area).




















As we drove into Samarkand slightly behind schedule we headed to the restaurant straight away in order to have lunch. It was a rather sophisticated dining room with a fairly interesting decoration which naturally caught my attention, particularly the hand painted curtains with female faces on them and though I was distracted from the actual meal for a few seconds, once I tasted it I had to recognise that almost everything "sounded" right.



























We were then driven to the Hotel where we would be spending the following three days, in order to change and get ready to go  to a silk road show atelier down town.










(to be continued)









No comments:

Post a Comment