Wednesday 30 January 2013

The latest books I have read ...



I have been reading a lot lately, which vaguely reminds me of what I used to do when I was much younger ...  and living with my two rather small children. After they had gone to bed I would grab a book and read it for endless hours, sometimes all night long ... I kept on telling myself that I needed them to keep me "balanced" and away from all sorts of "assailing" thoughts ... and whether that was a plausible justification or not ... the truth is it did work ..., the same way it is working now.


I was impressed with  Ohran Pamuk's Silent House, mainly  because of its well succeeded constructed narrative from a series of introspective monologues ... the saga of a family with the latent "violence" in which its history hinges and the way it has affected their relations. It was the ninety year old Fatma's dwellings on her poisoned years of marriage to an idealistic doctor that mostly impressed me.








Simone de Beauvoir 's The Woman destroyed (three long stories about the decay of passion, having the readers drawn into the lives of three women, all facing crises) impressed me even more, especially the one which bears the name of the book.








Very different in style, each of these books is worth being read and  some of their chapters even re-read.









No comments:

Post a Comment