Saturday 6 October 2012

Calheta de São Miguel, Cape Verde - the happiness of some and the sadness of others ...



Having had quite a number of things to do prior to flying to Cape Verde led me not to "update" the list of "protected" children and the fact that not all "godparents" handed over the money we had previously agreed upon for the school of those children further led me to concentrate on resolving this issue rather than other important details, which ultimately led to additional "mistakes" I wish I hadn't made ...

It wasn't until four of the children showed up that I realised I had not sent any e-mail to their "godparents" letting them know when I was flying to Cape Verde and  having consequently not taken any money with me for their school needs. 

If on one hand I managed to provide for two, not counting on the ones I had already provided for, whose "godparents" had completely forgotten about them, in the case of Lucia and Silvana I didn't and I felt that even if they understood my honest explanation, they still felt sad. 

I could just  see it in their facial expressions ...




















Lucia (left) and Silvana (right).




I advanced the money for Bete and Ana (the previous day). In a rather humble sort of attitude Ana's mother came around with a present for the "godmother", irrespective of knowing she had not contributed towards Ana's school.




















Bete and I (left) and Ana with her mother (right).






Because Lena 's child is too young to attend either school or kindergarten, the child's "godmother" had asked me to find out what they needed, but when Lena came around I soon realised that she was in need of some money to face unexpected needs, so that was taken care of, knowing full well that Célia would unconditionally agree with my decision.






Lena





If some didn't feel too happy, given the circumstances others couldn't hide their extreme happiness. Jessica Helena was such a case. In my last trip she had told me she would love to have a Portuguese "godmother", but I don't think she was prepared to get what she had asked for, plus a new dress, some sandals and a necklace when she came around to see me.

She actually came around a second time to give me a present for the "godmother" and one could see how proudly she looked, as she wore what Lurdes Silva had sent her.



















Jessica Helena










A girl whom I had never seen came around expecting to get something and when I told her the children who were getting something had a "godparent" she burst into uncontrollable tears, that impressed us all. I immediately grabbed for an extra dress Bete had given me in case I were to find anyone I felt might need and handed it over to her. She immediately stopped crying and with a rather "shy" smile placed it in front of herself thanking me a numerous amount of times.
























Eviline, who came in later to the party looked particularly happy with the presents she got from Beta and so did Jeferson, who walked into the pension wearing the clothes Carla had bought for him.


















Eviline







Eviline with her mother



















Jeferson






Jeferson with his mother









It doesn't take much to make a child happy ... a simple photograph will do ...


















Lola (left) and a girl from Calhetona (right).






... or just some chocolates ...






Diva holding the chocolates sent to her by Lurdes







... Though in some cases one may not be capable of  lightening the burden of some of these children's hard lives ....






 Artemisa holding the birthday presents sent to her by Cristina












1 comment:

  1. Happiness and sadness run parallel to each other. When one takes a rest, the other one tends to take up the slack.

    BELL

    ReplyDelete