Friday 29 June 2012

The Romania circuit - The morning of the fifth day - The Monastery of Voronet (cont.) - the 24th of May 2012



(...)

Every time we finished visiting any of the painted Monasteries I had the distinct feeling that no other Monastery would impact me like the one I had just seen and yet I must confess that they all impacted me in very similar ways, even though the paintings were different.


We could have stood a lot longer in front of many of the scenes depicted and I am sure none of us (including those who were not particularly fond of either religion or Art) would have suggested we moved somewhere else. The explanations provided us with a thorough insight into the epoch and the implications of some of the characters ... but the frescoes themselves provided the rest.  










































































There were many more painted Monasteries in the region Christian and I would be interested in visiting, and the fact that they were not included in this circuit will definitely lead us to consider going back some time to further explore the area we trust to be worth being thoroughly looked into.


Note : We were not allowed to photograph its interior.













No comments:

Post a Comment