Friday 4 May 2012

Praia, Cape Verde - The morning of the 24th of April 2012




I couldn't fly back home without having my friends visit Cidade Velha. Despite the fact that everytime I travel to Santiago island I end up spending part of any day re-visiting this UNESCO village, I always take pleasure in strolling around it. There is something rather special about it that makes me want to always  go back.


We stopped at a little shop run by a women's association that sells a wide variety of local handicraft - rag dolls dressed in local outfits, "soap" which ressembles none of the soap bars we buy in Europe because of being made out of some local plants, sisal-made bags and "panos d'obra" amongst others.









We then walked along the street of Banana, where some people were re-thatching the roofs of their 15th century houses.


































Once the Chapel of Nossa Senhora do Rosario was closed we headed towards the open air chapel overlooking the little bay and afterwards down onto the main Square and along the stretch of small restaurants towards the little fishing beach to watch the incoming boats.















As there were none we went to the post-office, not without having stopped at the Café with a Museum-like exhibition room with typical banana peeling handicraft "paintings" and other typical  Cape Verdian "artistic pieces".













Some colourful stamps on one of the walls of the little post-office caught my attention as Lurdes and I were walking out to check on the fishing boats leaving Henriqueta behind.




 





Some primary school children could be seen playing in the cobble-stoned street just across from the fishing beach. As soon as they sighted us heading to the stony beach they came running from what looked like everywhere. I was surrounded by them.





 




(To be continued)











1 comment:

  1. every thing post...include the most little detail.... I liked!!!!!

    ReplyDelete