Monday 20 February 2012

The trip to Calheta in the words of Conceição and Celeste








Conceição with Celeste in the background




" My trip to Calheta exceeded my expectations, in terms of the way of living I had envisaged to find.

In a rather simple way, though I feel it may be sufficient to describe the few days I spent in Cape Verde, the fairer words to define this people would be - humbleness, kindness, an ever smiling face and joy of living.

The  whole experience has been a life's lesson for me. Cape Verdians live with very little, without none of the major opportunities most of us have, some  getting by under conditions one could describe as just above the bearable and without too many perspectives of ameliorating their quality of life ... and yet they can easily show us happiness is within reach.

A simple tender gesture got me a smile back, for which I was and am immensely grateful. I must say they made their way right into my heart.

The purpose of this trip (we were supposed to have made with Iolanda who unfortunately wasn't able to for health reasons) was to get to know the children many of us are "godparents" to and whose community Iolanda has been dedicating herself to.

Whichever contribution we make will be like setting up an oasis in the desert. During these two days  I realised how important any little thing (we give them) is for them, from a simple hug to a book or even an improvised theatrical moment. 

To finish  with I would like to congratulate Iolanda on the engaging spirit and committment she has had towards these children.

Celeste"




"The decision to meet my "protegées" had already been taken the moment I accepted to become their "godmother"

The opportunity came up later when recently together with two friends, Telma and Celeste, who happen to be "godmothers" as well we flew to Santiago island on our way to Praia and ultimately Calheta de São Miguel - our final destination.

The moment I set foot on the village I saw myself surrounded by a desolating landscape, but the first contact with the local people  was excellent and I felt they were warm and pleasant spoken.


During the afternoon of the first day (Saturday) I helped some of the children as they did their "artistic crafts, though I must confess I paid a lot more attention to my "protegée" Tarine, whom I felt a strong emotional connection with. I feel she is a very intelligent, beautiful and sweet looking girl attentive to everything around her. I was then given the opportunity to  meet her family and see where she lives.

The following day we kept on helping the children with their "artistic" achievements and taking photos. I personally believe that all the workshops Iolanda has developed added by the fact that she has been trying to find "godmothers" to "accompany" these children is an extraordinary important social supporting work, which contributes towards ameliorating their symbolic capacity, as well as allowing the "dreams' into such a  cruel and hard reality.

The whole experience has been emotionally strong, once having been there is naturally a lot different from writing letters and sending them money and presents.
The affectionate bond this getting to know them allows is highly valuable for both parties involved ... walking hand in hand, hugging, listening to them, being with ... creating bonds and above all "loving" these children.

On Sunday I met my other "protegée", Cynthia, which has also been an enrichening experience. I got myself another "protegé", Gerson, an intelligent, lively young man with a visible feeling for theatrical performance.

Facing this reality wasn't easy for me, taking into account the multiple feelings and emotions I experienced.

I am sure I will go back to Calheta, for a somewaht longer period of time, carrying with me all the love I have to give and open to getting it back in return.

Conceição"








No comments:

Post a Comment